Your Health Information
Bigfork Valley Hospital uses an electronic medical record system to increase quality of care for its patients. The electronic medical record is a secure way to allow your provider and others involved in your care immediate access to your health information that was not possible with paper records.
Request to obtain medical records
Copies of medical records are available from Bigfork Valley’s Health Information Services Department. We take every precaution to protect the rights and privacy of our patients. To ensure the privacy of patients and their families and to comply with federal regulations, patients or other authorized persons must sign a Release of Information form.
If you would like your care team to discuss your protected health information, please fill out an Authorization to Discuss Protected Health Information form. This includes discussing scheduling, medical and billing information over the phone.
Our Release of Information Department is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We can be contacted by phone 218.743.4130 or by fax 218.743.4207.
Instructions on how to fill out the Release of Information Form:
- Fill in patient’s legal name, date of birth, address and phone information.
- Check “Bigfork Valley” or write in another facility/address that you want the records released from.
- You must fill in the name and complete address of where records are to be sent. Include a fax number if you want them faxed.
- Please check all of the appropriate types of records needed.
- Please list the date or dates of the records that you are requesting along with the condition or treatment it pertains to.
- Please check the purpose of release or fill in as needed.
- Sign and date at the bottom of the authorization. If the patient is under 18 years of age the legal parent or guardian must sign.
You can either fax the completed form to 218.743.4207 or mail it to:
Attn: Medical Records
Bigfork Valley Hospital
258 Pine Tree Drive
PO Box 258
Bigfork, MN 56628
**Please make a copy of the completed authorization to keep for yourself. If you have any questions please call our Health Information Services Department at 218.743.4130.
Notice of privacy practices
By law, Bigfork Valley Hospital, clinics and communities must keep protected health information private. The federal government defines protected health information as any information, whether oral, electronic or paper, which is created or received by Bigfork Valley and relates to a patient’s health care or payment for the provision of medical services. This includes not only the results of tests and notes written by doctors, nurses and other clinical personnel, but also certain demographic information (such as your name, address and telephone number) that is related to your health records.
Bigfork Valley is required by law to give you this notice and to follow the terms and conditions of the notice that is currently in effect.
For detailed information on how Bigfork Valley uses and safeguards your protected health information, please refer to our Notice of Privacy Practice. This Notice describes how your personal and health information may be disclosed and how you can obtain access to it.
If you have any questions regarding your personal or health information or the Notice of Privacy Practice, please call our Privacy Officer at 218.743.4149.